In 1801 when Rohilkhand was ceded to the British Pilibhit was a Pargana of The District Of Bareilly, which lost it in 1833, the arrangement being temporary and the tract being again united with Bareilly in 1841. In 1871 was formed the Pilibhit subdivision comprising Jahanabad, Pilibhit and Puranpur which was eventually converted into a seprate District in 1879. At the introduction of the British rule the parganas of Pilibhit, Jahanabad & Bisalpur was formed into seprate Tehsils. Puranpur was united for this purpose with Khutar. A redistribution of the area was effected in 1824, when the Bisalpur Tehsil contained the Parganas of Bisalpur and Maurari, which afterwards become a single area; Jahanabad was joined with Richha to form tehsil Pareva & Pilibhit with Bilheri, the HQ being at Pilibhit. In 1851 Bilheri and the other tarai pargana were taken under direct management and in 1863 Richha was attached to the new Baheri Tehsil, Pargana Jahanabad being assigned to Pilibhit which also received Puranpur on its transfer in 1865. The latter, in 1871, a became subtehsil dependent on Pilibhit. The promotion of Puranpur into a full Tehsil occurred in 1879, while Bisalpur throughout remained a seprate subdivision.Thus the area is now divided into three Tehsils and four Parganas. Puranpur & Bisalpur constituting individual Tehsils and Parganas & the Tehsil of Pilibhit comprising the paraganas of Pilibhit and Jahanabad. In 2015 two new Tehsil names Kalinagar and Amariya was created.